Five for Friday: July 10

It's Five for Friday time over at Doodle Bugs Teaching! Kayce, thanks for hosting this linky party every week; it's one of my absolute favorites! :)


 Five for Friday



The three littles and I got to spend a fabulous week in Charleston. More specifically the Isle of Palms.  Are any of you news watchers? Remember the shark attack on the 12 year old? Mmm hmm. It happened on the other side of that pier. We were swimming every day on the right hand side, and the shark was munching on people on the left hand side of the pier. Completely.totally.freaked.out!!!  I am a fan of the beach (as in lounging in a chair, reading a good book, sipping a soda) not of swimming in the ocean. This just confirmed by stance!

The littles had a fantastic time! Shark eating humans are an abstract concept for them and none of them have seen Jaws. ;)





Next up was a tour of Charleston Harbor. The boys are history buffs like their dad and were enthralled with the view of Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, and the retired air craft carrier.  The guide was very knowledgeable and being a native daughter I found myself enjoying the tour, too.


This is a picture of Fort Sumter from the air conditioned lower deck....Charleston in July is smoking.hot.people.  My oldest wanted to go on a tour of Fort Sumter because they studied its place in history this past year at school. There were several sites that he insisted I take pictures of for Ms. Schmitt to use in her class. 


The boys and I had lunch on the Battery under the shade of some beautiful old oak trees. This is where they hung captured pirates which of course thrilled the boys.  It is a lovely spot for a picnic! I felt like we'd stepped into a Dr. Dolittle movie...the squirrels came right up to beg for food. The boys got an up close and personal look at three blue jays that came hopping over with all kinds of other birds that I couldn't identify. I was starting to get a little freaked out by the closeness of the squirrels...you know rabies and all!






My family continues the quest to get our house updated and on the market in this millennium. The sweet, talented hubby has removed the tile from the bathroom and begun replacing it. Our small master bath had half tile and half carpet. Who does that?!?! Disgusting.and.nasty.  At any rate, one more night of working after work and the job will be finished.  It's going to look fantastic! And the upside....it's one more thing we can check off of the lengthy "To Do" list. :)


I had the opportunity to sneak into my new media center this week. Here are the before pictures of a few key areas.  I will post the "afters" when I am completely finished. A view of the computer area....


The central teaching area....


The story time area...


I am anxious to get in there and put my touch on the place so that it feels like home to me. I will keep you updated on the progress!


Here are some of the things I'm working on for the new library decor.



Head on over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to see what everyone else has been up to this week. Enjoy!











5 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya! I am blown away by the story time area. I've never seen anything like it! I'm excited to see the after pictures of your new media center. Looks like you had a good vacation and best of luck (to your handy hubby) with the bathroom remodel! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Mai Huynh
    Diary of a Grumpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mai,
      I have big plans for the media center. Since the school mascot is a knight and there is a castle already in place, I will be doing a fairy tale theme. I have plans for a beanstalk and a giant's boat climbing down from the clouds! Let's hope it looks as good as I'm hoping. Oh, and there will be a dragon soaring in the entry way. I'll definitely post pictures!
      Tonya

      Delete
  2. Hi Tonya! I love your story time area! I know my Kindergarteners would be so excited to come to the library and listen to stories there. I'm glad you enjoyed Charleston! I live about 20 minutes from downtown Charleston. It is beautiful but HOT right now like you experienced. I have never been to Isle of Palms beach and now i'm more hesitant to go after hearing about the shark attacks. Can't wait to see the library once you put your "touch" in there.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Theresa,
    The Isle of Palms is beautiful! I've been going there for years; I grew up near Myrtle Beach. This is the first time in my life I've ever heard of a shark attack even remotely near a place I've been swimming. The truth is sharks are everywhere and you're more likely to be struck by lightning. I still don't like going in the water.;)
    I taught kindergarten for 10 years, and you are totally right....kinders will love the castle!
    Enjoy your summer!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete