Five for Friday: June 19

 Doddle Bugs Teaching

It's hard to believe that another precious week of summer vacation has grown wings and flown!  This week has been a mixture of lounging and working like a madwoman on house preparations for listing it on the market.  Without further ado, I present this week's Five for Friday.





My oldest came back home after his first week away from home without anyone in the family being with him.  He was happy to be home, but his mama was happier by far!  And let me just tell you, after a week in the woods with other Scouts and approximately 1 (Yes, you heard me right. The adult male-also known as a dad- said that all of the boys had at least 1 shower.) shower the entire week....he.was.ripe.! Smelling that is.  We took a quick authentic picture, and he stripped in the laundry room before hopping in the shower.  I wouldn't even let him take those clothes upstairs.  Just be glad that picture is not a scratch and sniff sticker....woooo-eeeee! A skunk's got nothin' on a prepubescent boy who has been in 90 degree heat with no shower...for a week!!! 
(So happy he's home -now that he doesn't stink...)


This is the saddy-sad dresser that my oldest has used since he was an infant. It was given to us, and we painted it to try to make it a little less sad.  Well, eleven years later after a multitude of stickers, string, gunk and goo it was time for an upgrade (and a little cleaning off of the top of the dresser...I mean seriously, who does that???).  Behold the replacement....


And a choir of angels sang.... 

Okay not really, but I feel happy just looking at it!! It is an old mahogany dresser that I bought at a local antique store.  I love supporting local artisans while purchasing quality items.  I am all about upcycling and recycling when that is a viable (read affordable) option. Happy, happy, happy dance happening at my house!! (Plus, he had to clean off the top of the dresser. That's a win-win in my book!)



 American Heroes: James Ogelthorpe

My American Heroes series is a top seller in my TpT store.  This is the latest addition to the series. If you teach second grade in Georgia, this is for you!! Every worksheet / topic you need to cover when teaching James Oglethorpe is included in this lapbook unit.  Take a sneak peek....

 American Heroes: James Ogelthorpe

The lapbook includes character traits, an option of timelines, vocabulary, comparing self-to-Oglethorpe, interesting fact recording, short answer, short essay with text evidence required, and more.  Not only will this cover the CCSS, it will also allow your second graders to get much needed practice with their fine motor skills. Helpful hints are included in case this is the first lapbook you've used along with a photograph showing one possible layout with an explanation and example of the parts. I will tell you that my students have loved.every.single.one we've done! They take ownership of these and truly learn a tremendous amount during the unit.  American Heroes: James Oglethorpe will be on sale for the next 48 hours!





We should call this segment "Hubby Made It."  I am very fortunate to have a husband that is also a handy man with a workshop and scraps of wood at his disposal.  He quickly whipped up this bike stand to help organize all of the bikes at my house that typically get dropped either in the driveway directly behind my van or in front of the door into the house via the garage.  No longer, my friends. No longer....and yes, it's okay if you're jealous. I got the last good one! ;)




Is it too soon to start thinking about our beach vacation at the end of June? I didn't think so either!  The boys and I picked up new flip flops (they grow like weeds from summer to summer!!) for a $1 at The Children's Place. Just the simple act of buying flip flops got me super excited...I don't know if I can wait another 2+ weeks!!!  The sand, the breeze, the books, the tropical drinks,.....I could go on and on. Instead, I present you with this picture. Need I say more?  I thought not!


Yes, please! :) 

Head on over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to see what all of your blogging buddies have been up to this week. There's a link at the top of this post. And while you're at it, I would love for you to check out my latest unit - especially if you teach second grade in Georgia!




No comments:

Post a Comment